Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Tag

Welcome to the Christmas edition of getting to know your friends.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I am usually a bag girl, but during Christmas, it is all about the paper!
2. Real tree or Artificial? I love the smell of a real tree, but growing up, we always had an artificial tree. A couple years ago Matt and I had a real tree and it was SOO much work. For now, we will settle for our stubby little tree. :)
3. When do you put up the tree? The day after Thanksgiving. It has been that way since I was a little girl.
4. When do you take the tree down? Around January 2
5. Do you like eggnog? Yes - I never liked it until this year. I had a drink of Matt's mixed with 1/2 milk and it was pretty good.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I remember my Grandma Jensen got me a porcelain doll every year. When she passed away, my Grandma Willey carried on the tradition.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? A few of them. I decided I wanted to collect Nativity scenes, so we are going to be looking for some unique ones over the next few years.
8. Hardest person to buy for? Matt's family
9. Easiest person to buy for? Matt...I love spending money on him!
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? I'm with Kym on this one. I LOVE decorating my door with cards and then I keep them. The following year, I read them as I put up my Christmas stuff.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I can't think of one.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? I love the classics like Rudolph, White Christmas
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? When I get a chance. I always say I am going to be done by June, but don't usually start until the day after Thanksgiving.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I don't think Christmas gifts, but definitely wedding gifts.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Anything sweet. I get a bug to bake around October and in December, I just want to bake all the time. I remember very vividly my Dad's fudge and nut horns. I asked him for his fudge recipe this year and he said it was the one off the back of the Marshmallow can!
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree ? I love the clear lights because our ornaments have so much color.
17. Favorite Christmas song? I love "Mary Let me Hold her Baby" from the Forgotten Carols. It speaks so strongly to me. "Those like me who can't have children, still can be mothers. Something in His eyes convinced me, I could serve so many others."
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Growing up, we were always at home. Since being married, Matt and I have traveled to either parents'. The in-laws still have 3 teenagers and one little one at home and then we have 2 nieces, and watching the little ones' eyes light up is my favorite part of Christmas!
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, and Blitzen and Rudolph. And how could I forget the 10th reindeer, Olive. (Olive, the other reindeer...)
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Our first Christmas, we hunted everywhere for a tree topper. We found an angel that we loved and she sits atop every year now.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Always Christmas Morning
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? I agree with Kym about the music: I refuse to listen to Christmas music until the day after Thanksgiving. From there, it is full blast! I also hate that I have so much to do with different parties, events to attend, finals at school, that I don't get to sit and enjoy and think about the season as much as I would really like.
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? I always thought I wanted a really fancy, beautifully decorated tree. In fact, our first year together, we went out and purchased fancy bulbs and such because I had it in my head what I wanted the tree to look like. Toward Christmas, Matt's mom gave us as box of ornaments from Matt's childhood. They get a new ornament every year, sometimes depending on what happened that year. Now, we don't even put bulbs on, just Matt's ornaments and ones I/We have gotten/boughts since being married. It is sooo fun to pull them out every year and see this big, strong man gently place his beloved ornaments on the branches.
24. Favorite food Christmas dinner? In my family growing up, we always had nachos Christmas eve and then our big dinner Christmas day. Matt's family has dinner on the Eve. I just really love food.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? A pink I-pod with pink speakers
26. Favorite Christmas tradition? As stated above, we would eat nachos and watch movies Christmas Eve and then look at Christmas lights around town. I love Matt's family traditions of acting out the Nativity (always the 3 wise guys!!), Dad reading from the Bible, and singing Silent Night in German. Matt and I have talked about someday incorporating some of our traditions growing up and making our own, like pajamas on Christmas Eve, buying a new book every year.
27. Tag 5 people - Let's just say, if you have a blog and you are reading this - you have been tagged!

4 comments:

Kym said...

Oh, some of those made me tear up! Expecially your favorite Christmas song. I remember singing that song in High School for a Seminary Devotional while you played and we couldn't get a certain boy to sing with me.
Love ya!

The Figgins said...

I got a really cool nativity candle light thingy from ten thousand villages for my mother in law who collects them as well. It's very unique and a worthy cause to support. www.tenthousandvillages.com

The Figgins said...

Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht . . . that's pretty cool that you all sing it in German. Just know not to translate it because the words are better in English. It's really stupid in German even though I love singing it.

Suzie-Q said...

I did this last week and had so much fun with it. Thanks for sharing.