Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, May 25, 2012

Massage

We interupt this regularly scheduled blog about my amazing son and family with some thoughts of my own.  I had an amazing massage (no, amazing doesn't even BEGIN to cover it, but I can't seem to find a better word at the moment) last night and I have been doing A LOT of pondering since then.  I thought I would write a few of my thoughts down on....paper?

9 Years ago I was going to school at BYU-Idaho. I started out as a music therapy major, but for some reason, just couldn't get the info down.  I had a really difficult time with theory and aural skills (but totally loved my conducting class!!)  I just didn't feel right about it all.  I ended up just changing to generals and got my associates degree.  Long story short, I was going to serve a mission, but was denied the opportunity at the last moment (which looking back now, really was the Lord's hand in my life).  I was angry.  I was lost.  I was frantic trying to find something to do with my life.  I hung around and took some fun classes I always wanted to take.  I was walking around campus one day and this thought came into my mind, "Look at massage therapy schools online."  I wouldn't have listened, but it was pretty persistant.  See, I had never thought, dreamt, heard of massage ever. 

So, I followed my promting and looked up some school.  I requested information from several, but within 24 hours I received a call from a representative in at UCMT in SLC, UT.  (Now, they call you back within 2 minutes of hitting the request info button).  I spoke to a lovely lady and got more information.  I received my packet in the mail a day later and financial aid/FAFSA forms 2 days after that.  I didn't talk to anyone about it.  I didn't want anyone to know what I was condering.  After a lot of praying, I knew I had to quit the current semester and move to SLC to go to massage school. I am sure my friends and family thought this was another one of those "fleeting thoughts" or "she will forget about it" or "she is going to fail" but I knew in my heart of hearts this was the right choice for me.  Within 3 weeks, I pulled out of my classes at school, sold my apartment contract and enjoyed every last moment I could at BYU-I with every last person I could.  I rememeber very clearly my last night there.  We had FHE with our brothers and played some fun games.  My roomies made me a cake that said, "Happy FEC Hunting."  I went over to my brother's house for a priesthood blessing.  I remember the spirit speaking so strongly to me that I was absolutley doing the right thing, I had made a good decision.  I remember Mary trying to scare me on my way home and falling and skinning her knee. 

I struggled in SLC.  My first apartment of girls was awful!  Boys over all night.  Struggling with anatomy homework, trying to figure out who I was and what I was doing.  After a couple of months, I found a new roommate who was a good LDS woman also going to massage school, got some help with anatomy, really became involved with my Single's Ward and fell in love....with myself.  I learned I was okay the way I was, with who I was. I started dating, which was something entirely new for me.  (About 6 months previous, I had a failed engagement, so definately ready to move on with life). 

Fast forward 9 years.  I married a cute guy from the Single's Ward and are living happily ever after with a cute little boy to boot.  I previously worked with chiropractors, at a day spa, The Broadmoor and I have been at DSMT for 8 years.  I absolutely LOVE massage.  I love the way it makes someone feel good on the inside and outside.  I love it is such a THANKFUL job.  I love there are no side effects and everyone benefits.  Working at the school teaching about all of this has been a hoot and some of my most fond memories.  I love watching the student's eyes light up everytime they get it after they thought there was no way.  I love watching them progress from knowing nothing about massage to watching them walk across the stage, diploma in hand.  It is amazing, to say the least!  I am hardly ever at the school teaching anymore because I chose my family over my passion of massage, and I am okay with that.  I love my son and I have always wanted to be a mommy more than I wanted anything in life. 

Lately, things have been a little rocky for me.  When my friend offered to do a massage trade, I jumped at the opportunity.  Plans changed when I arrived and he was just going to give me a massage.  I have to tell you-I have received a LOT of massage in 9 years, but nothing like this.  He used Reiki and Hot Stone and his over all sense of compassionate touch.  I bawled through nearly the entire massage.  And I feel liberated.  I feel free.  I feel patient.  I feel renewed and balanced.  I feel as if I can breathe again, for maybe the first time ever.  How grateful I am to Trent.  Words cannot describe.  I didn't all of this was possible through massage.  I feel as if I have been taught.  Thank you cannot even begin to repay what he gave me last night.  Everyone should get a massage!  If this feeling was recreated in every person at least once in their lifetime, what a better world we would have.  I have often been accusssed of having a "rainbow and unicorn" view of how massage can change life, but I REALLY believe in this stuff.  I have seen it change the lives of students, clients and my own.  And today, I am grateful for things coming full circle.  The teacher has been taught. 

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I completely agree with you. I have only had prenatal and labor massage, but let me tell you, getting a massage every other week in my last trimester (all we could afford) was indescribable. It was amazing how no matter what was going on in my life when I stepped out of my car, when I came back to it, all was right with the world. I told Cory that he needs to make enough money so that someday I can get a weekly massage.