Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, March 14, 2008

Have you hugged a Teacher today?

This is a photo taken after Matt's graduation this past summer. I thought it fit so appropriately with today's posting....


I just finished up finals for this quarter and let me tell ya, it has been a doozy! The older I get, the more I respect the past and those that worked so hard to get me where I am today. I owe a huge thank you to my teachers, from preschool all the way through college! They really shaped me, by large, into the person I am today. I realize that I didn't respect them or love them the way they really deserved. I am held accountable everyday for the actions of my students: If they don't turn in homework or do well on a test, if they don't show up for a class or forget to bring their supplies, I am immediately questioned. What could I have done better or differently? By and large, it takes so much to be a teacher: not only do you wear the hat of teacher, but of policeman (breaking up a fight every now and again), firefighter, counselor, therapist, doctor.....it is not easy! But it is all completely worth it! When a light bulb goes off and they just "get it" for the first time, when they smile at you, when they say "thanks for making my life better" it makes the job all worth it! I wouldn't chage what I do for any amount of money!

So I just wanted to say, have you hugged a teacher lately? Have you hugged someone who has made a differance in your life? If not, please do so! Everyone needs to know they are appreciated! I love you!!

3 comments:

Get Bent said...

The last teacher I hugged...hmm...
probably my band teacher in high school. Those are some great sentiments though. Teachers change the world, be are often overlooked for shaping the youth of the world.

Melinda said...

Unfortunately the hugs that really feel like they count can't be physically done anymore. In my first days of orientation we were reminded that at the MOST we could do a side shoulder squeeze.

I think I might have to break that rule at the end of this year, though. Man I'm gonna miss my 8th graders!!

brandya said...

Melinda, you are absolutely correct! Luckily, I work in a place where hugs are okay and even encouraged. In my years since becoming a massage therapist I have realized how touch deprived our society and culture is. If kids can't get positive touch in the home and in school, they grow up not knowing or understanding. They become adults and this horrible cycle continues.