Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Temper Tantrums

I love my 2 year old, more than life itself, but I gotta tell ya, these temper tantrums are about killing me.  My friend told me her little boy had a tantrum in the store and she set him in the isle and went around the corner.  He freaked out so bad he never had another one.  Apparently, I am not as lucky.  The longer I ignore, the bigger tantrum he throws.  Now, I try not to react because I have a theory.....
A lot of it has to do with my religious beliefs.  We believe that we lived in heaven before we came to this earth.  When we came to earth we passed through a veil that helped us forget our pre-earth life.  Please know, this next bit isn't part of my LDS beliefs, but simply my personal thoughts.  I think the veil is very thin for little babies.  I really believe this because I have witnessed my own little on talking to angels and other beyond the veil.  I am 100% certain my Grandpa and Grandma Jensen who have passed on had a huge hand in delivering my son to earth (more on that another time).  Right around the age of 18 months-3 years or so that veil gets very thick.  Why?  Because children learn to speak, to express themselves with words.  So, they get frusterated...they don't have the words and the angels they used to talk to have "disappeared" from before their eyes.  Hense, temper tantrum central.

I usually do a really good job being calm during his tantrums.  Today, he threw a big one at the park.  I gave him a choice to come and play or lay on the ground and cry.  He chose to lay on the ground and cry.  At first I was really embarrased, but after the first couple of minutes I kinda ignored it.  He knew I was right there to help him out when he was ready.  He got up after about 7 minutes of screaming, a big tear puddle on the ground and rocks all over his face (not one of our prouder moments as a mother/son team) and he was just fine. 

The day of the pictures below was a particularly awful day.  He threw his breakfast all over the floor, spilled his milk, threw his trains at my face, wouldn't let me change his clothes or diaper without a fight...I was whipped before I started.  At nap time he wouldn't cooperate either.  I left him in his room to cry it out (of course I gave him the chance to make a better choice).  Within about 10 minutes the crying stopped.  I tried to open the door and he was laying right in front of it asleep.  Poor tiny baby had temper tantrum cried himself to sleep.  I ran for the camera! 
I did go in and pick him and rock him.  I feel awful, but I know two won't last forever.  It is one of the most rewarding, sweet times as well.  He is in such a discovery mode.  I love this little boy so much!!!

1 comment:

The Figgins said...

I know your pain sister. Elijah does some of the same things. I have found that sometimes he just needs to cry and throw a fit. Sometimes if I let him cry for a while (I can usually feel when he wants to be done) and then present him with the choice, he will make a good choice. Sometimes he won't. Good luck with this phase. It is NO FUN!