Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, February 22, 2010

More Diligent and Concerned at Home

What is a girl to do when she can't sleep? Two mornings in a row I have woken up at 3am and can't get back to sleep for the life of me. It is so super annoying and I am super tired! I got this amazingly nasty viral infection and I am just miserable. The doc said there is really nothing I can do but rest and wait it out. In the mean time, I feel really quite awful! But, on a happy note, he gave me a note from work saying I can return when "I feel better." Really? Does this mean I can be out indefinitely? It does say until I feel better? The nurse and I had a good laugh at that one. I really need to be back by Wednesday, so hopefully taking today and resting up.

This is a post I have been wanting to write for about a week, but just haven't gotten around to it. What a perfect way to start the day!



On Valentine's Day, our wonderful friends spoke in Sacrament Meeting. She was assigned Elder Bednar's last General Conference talk entitled, "More Diligent and Concerned at Home." Elder Bednar expressed three ways we can be more diligent at home.

Suggestion Number One: Express Love-And Show it
I think Matt and I are pretty good at this. We make it a habit several times a day to tell each other how much we love each other. I am so eternally grateful for him and his amazingness! He constantly does little things for me to let me know each day he loves me. What are some things you and your spouse do to show each other in the "little ways" that you love each other?

Suggestion Number Two: Bear Testimony and Live it
"Each of us already knows we should bear testimony to the people we love the most. But what we know is not always reflected in what we do. We may feel unsure, awkward, or even perhaps a bit embarrassed.
As disciples of the Savior, we are not merely striving to know more; rather, we need to consistently do more of what we know is right and become better.
We should remember that bearing a heartfelt testimony is only a beginning. We need to bear testimony, we need to mean it, and most importantly we need consistently to live it. We need to both declare and live our testimonies."

Suggestion Number Three: Be Consistent
I think this is the one I need the most work with. I can list 100 different excuses, but they are just that, excuses. Matt and I know we need to be more consistent with scripture study, prayer and family home evening. We need to make it a habit soon!

My friend relayed these three things and said something to significant I don't think I will ever forget it. To paraphrase, she said that so many marriages are falling apart. We hear the term, "We fell out of love with each other." She said, "How can you fall out of love? You CHOSE each other!" A wave fell over me as if I had been struck by lightening...We chose our our companions! When they said, "Will you marry me for time and all eternity?" we said yes! And then we went a step further and willingly planned a wedding and knelt across the alter from each other. And then she took it a step further....do you ever hear a mother or father say about their children, "I just feel out of love with him/her. I don't love him/her anymore"?
Wow....
We didn't even get to chose our children! They just came to us. Very interesting concept. Something I will always carry in my heart!

ps...I realize that I haven't posted pictures in a very long time! We are working on the scnner and who knows where the camera cord went to in the move, but definately things we need to work out very soon! :)

3 comments:

Suzie-Q said...

Love this.
Hope you start feeling better soon.

Melinda said...

I love that thought "You CHOSE each other!" And when it comes down to it, it is the ONLY eternal union we have an Earthly choice about. We could have chosen the families we came to and the children that come to us, but if we did, we have no recollection, so the eternal companion thing really IS the one WE decided. And I love your Dr's note :-) But as we teachers know, I hate being away from my students very long! For whatever reason.

Smelly Moose said...

It's so true! I have always loved the quote "Choose thy love, love thy choice!" Adam and I text each other quite often throughout the day just to let one another know we're thinking about them :)