Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Camping

We have wanted to go camping as a family for a very long time.  I think we have both been a little apprehensive about taking a toddler.  Lately, it just to be too much.  My thirst for the mountains and nature had to be quenched.  We spent quite a bit of time trying to plan, but I guess sometimes you just have to expect the unexpected. 

Before we even left, we were in for it.  Wally, Steven and I were outside playing Frisbee to run off some of their energy before we finished packing and took off when Matt got home.  I had just given Steven the "5 minute warning) and thrown the Frisbee again for Wally.  As Wally was bringing it back to me, he stopped dead in his tracks and started licking his paw.  He had an a small previous injury from another dog so I didn't think anything of it.  Until he got to me.  In a matter of seconds, I was drenched in blood and I knew he had cut his paw pretty badly.  I brought them both inside and started inspecting the damage.  Steven was so sweet.  He sat and held Wally's head for me as I tried to inspect, clean and bandage the wound to take him to the hospital. 

We were lucky that we got right in to the vet.  Upon better inspection, it was a pretty deep cut,  They talked about stitches and putting him under or they could super-glue it and bandage it.  We opted for the glue and bandage.  (more on that later) but that meant Wally would have to really lay low and not participate in much activity.  We got on the road about 2 hours later than expected with our little setback, but looking back, it all turned out okay.

On the way in the car, Steven was really going crazy.  You could tell he was really tired and needed to go down.  Luckily, about 30 minutes into our almost 2 hour trip, he zonked out hard!  When we finally got to the campsite, they were full.  I mean, to the max full.  I was in hysterics and to be truthful, I was beyond angry with Matt for not making a reservation.  Upon seeing we had a little guy, the campground host told us of a place we could camp for free but there was no running water or bathrooms.  It was really "roughing it."  We drove another 30-45 minutes and there it was.  In the middle of absolutely nowhere.  Hardly another car or someone else camping for a long way. 

Looking back now, I realize our Heavenly Father was watching over us.  We found somewhere where there were some neighbors close by, but not so close that they would intrude on us or visa versa.  I don't think i have been "roughing it" since our 4th year Hike at Girls Camp.  I gotta tell ya, it was great.  Well, except for the no potty thing, but I did get pretty good about "popping a squat" as we used to call it.  There was a little stream there we had all to ourselves and down the path about 1/2 a mile we found a log bridge over the stream that Steven LOVED crossing. 
Matt went into town that first night for matches.  I was a little leery of being on my own with my boy, but it was okay.  I prayed...a lot...and I know we were protected.  I am always a kinda "worse case scenario" kinda girl, (this may stem from watching too much Unsolved Mysteries, reading too may crazy mystery/murder books, and SVU) but we were absolutely watched over.  Upon returning, Matt tried to light a fire, but to no avail.  It wasn't happening.  After he was drenched, we decided to give up and just figure it out in the tent together. 

We ate peanut butter sandwiches and talked together.  We bundled up our little boy, said our prayers and eventually, we all got to sleep.  I was so worried about Steven that I didn't sleep at all that night.  (And I had Norah Jones songs running through my head all night.  I tired every meditation I knew to relax and sleep, but to no avail.)  By morning, all 4 of us were in the sleeping bag together.  Even Wally was shivering during the night so he crawled in too.  No room to roll over, but oh so cozy together.

In the morning, Matt got up and went into town again to buy some lighter fluid to get the fire going.  Everything I brought to eat depended upon that fire starting!  Luckily, Steven slept late into the morning and I didn't have to find much to entertain him before Matt got back.  As I was dressing him for the morning, he had on a gray shirt and red pants.  He looked down, saw what he was wearing and shouted "No Match!"  I put his coat on and he was okay until it was time to start shedding layers.

Matt and Steven found sticks and were sword fighting.  I am not sure how Steven knew what to do, but he picked up the stick and started it.  I think Daddy and I need to talk about what tv is happening while Mama is not home!



Matt got a fire started and we had hot dogs and smores for breakfast.  (Steven ended up eating something more healthy but I only eat hot dogs when I am camping and I wanted one bad!!)  We kept a fire burning most of the morning as we didn't want to haul firewood back with us.  Matt was always trying to teach our little guy about some kind of scout thing or survival skills.  That Daddy is going to have fun with his little guy as he gets older! 




We played some more, took a couple more hikes and headed home about 2pm so Bug could sleep on the way home.  All in all, not what we expected, but I think it turned out better being on our own.  It was great not to have to worry about noise or other people (just bears and someone breaking into our tent).  I hope we can do it again next year, and even more often!

No comments: